Forum: help

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Programmatically upload / download installation packages on old GForge [ Reply ]
By: Nnamdi Kohn on 2016-07-19 07:42
[forum:943]
Is there any user interface documentation (or any other detailed documentation) for GForge v5.6.1?

I've already searched the web but I can only find documentation for the current GForge AS project. Seems like there have never been documentations for v5.6.1 or they were removed somehow.

RE: Programmatically upload / download installation packages on old GForge [ Reply ]
By: Nnamdi Kohn on 2016-06-23 17:38
[forum:938]
;-)

that was my problem...

I have NO influence on the upgrading process. I can just recommend things here. And I know that people will not do it right now, because there are other (they say more important) things to do first.

Is it really so hard to programmatically read contents from a GForge site? Even for the experts? Shouldn't there be a general and straight forward solution for this?

By: Franck Villaume on 2016-06-21 08:59
[forum:937]
what about migrate from your old and deprecated GForge CE to FusionForge?
Not an easy task but worth to do it :-)

By: Nnamdi Kohn on 2016-06-16 17:09
[forum:936]
Maybe the problem is not as big as it seems... Here, you find another attempt to describe what I mean:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37812363/programmatical-gforge-upload-and-download

Maybe the solution does not necessarily have to come from FusionForge (or GForge). There should be just something...

Any ideas?

By: Franck Villaume on 2016-06-13 16:07
[forum:935]
Little bit of history here is needed.
GForge CE (community edition), GForge AS (advanced server) or GForge EE (express edition) are all proprietary softwares. Even the CE is proprietary. CE is a freeware not open source.
FusionForge is the continuity of GForge 4.x code base.
I'm not sure how I can help. GForge LLC mentions that SOAP API is available without saying which edition has SOAP API.

By: Nnamdi Kohn on 2016-06-11 17:25
[forum:932]
Hi,

it is the community edition which is used.

Any ideas?

By: Franck Villaume on 2016-06-10 08:02
[forum:931]
Is it the Community Edition or Advanced Edition?

FusionForge is the continuity of the opensource version of GForge. Therefore I cannot answer to your question about SOAP interface availability on GForge CE nor AS.

By: Nnamdi Kohn on 2016-06-09 12:58
[forum:930]
Hi,

thanks for your reply.

The system we use was built on top of Gforge v5.6.1

-> Has there been a SOAP interface present with GForge as well?

I will try to persuade the person in charge to mighrate to FusionForge. But for the mean time we would need some hints about an interface to GForge wo do a programmatical update or download of files.

By: Franck Villaume on 2016-05-30 22:06
[forum:927]
Hi,

FusionForge provides a SOAP interface. You may encounter some bugs that we will be happy to fix :-)
https://scm.fusionforge.org/anonscm/gitweb?p=fusionforge/fusionforge.git;a=tree;f=src/www/soap;h=fdcdf1786ff007c8a61834f5ac3123124d4deedb;hb=refs/heads/master

About migration:
can you provide more information about the starting point? What version are you using? What feature you need to port to the new version?
You can contact either:
- Gnurandal (Roland Mas)
- TrivialDev (myself and other contributors)
to get a full quote for your migration.

Risk? to lose some unknow feature that you fixed or developed. FusionForge upgrade tends to be as smooth as possible.

Programmatically upload / download installation packages on old GForge [ Reply ]
By: Nnamdi Kohn on 2016-05-28 20:32
[forum:924]
Hi,

I'm new here and very much interested in using and eventually contributing to the development here. Please let me explain my background first. After that, my question might be better understandable.

A couple of years ago, we (at my working place) started to use "the old" GForge software to host our software development projects. Now, the installation is seriously outdated but our IT might not have the courage (or the time) to upgrade to FusionForge. So, a lot of features which have been developed in the meantime are still not available to us as developers using the old GForge. Feature examples are:

- eMail reply to an automatic forum notification
- usage of GIT as the version control system
- some minor things...

But, anyway, we kind of still get along with the system and managed to cope with the restrictions. Now, we try to make a major shift towards automation of processes related to software development. As an example, you could think of the following sequence of operation we would like to perform programmatically:

(1) retrieving all available versions of different download packages of a project
(2) then choosing a collection of desired versions to be downloaded
(3) then download these versions and process them in a specific way
(4) ... and in the other direction as well (upload of new versions)

As we want to skip the GForge-GUI for these kind of process steps, we are looking for ways to use e.g. a Python API to communicate with the GForge server. Or some equivalent means (e.g. using HTTP requests). We want to be able to do these process steps without having to sit in front of the screen, personally.

QUESTIONS (finally)

(1) Is there a way to access the upload and download facilities for installation packages situated on the project main page using e.g. HTTP requests and coping with the authentification requirements? I've tried a lot but have not been able to get across the authentifiication screen downloaded from the server.

(2) Would it be possible to estimate the time (or effort) to migrate from an old GForge installation to the new FusionForge system? What would be the risks?

Thank you for your time.
Nnako