FusionForge uses standard GNU gettext for its internationalisation system. This system is widely known amongst the i18n community, which removes the burden of having to learn a home-made translsation system.
As of end of March, 2010, there are a handful of languages with rather good translation status: French is 100% translated, Russian is about 80%, German is about 60%, and Spanish, Catalan, traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese are all above 50%. Other languages with a reasonably good status include Basque, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Korean, Dutch and Swedish (all above 30%). These numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, though, as the untranslated strings are often the ones least frequently seen.
- No HTML tags in translated strings except <a>, <b>, <i>, <em> and <strong>.
- No more all CAPS word. Exceptions are acronyms like URL, HTML, etc.
- If you need quotes, use smart quotes “like this” and not ASCII quotes "like that"; this will avoid many backslashes in *.po files and is nicer to read
- A sentence ends by a period '.'
- First letter of the first word has capital case.
- We use only one colon ':' between level of information and message.
- There is no space between level of information and the colon.
- level of information + colon = one word.
- There is one space between the colon and the message.
- gettext must be used as much as possible. Add a comment in your code to specify when not using gettext.
Potential translators are encouraged to join their language translation team at the Translation Project and join the language mailing list.
To submit a translation, e.g. for French, write a mail to the robot, precisely as follow:
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: fusionforge-5.3.fr.po (update version if necessary)
- Body: whatever
- Attachment: fr.po.gz
People to check / ping
The following languages were being worked on by:
- French (the Friendly French Cabal)
- Spanish (lcanas, marianoguerra, jfcastro, e1th0r)
- Italian (reinhard)
- German (mirabilos, Nilsius)
- Simplified Chinese (markqiu)
- Polish (pustelnik)
Back to FusionForge