Difference between revisions of "Meetings/2010"
(More explicit link to planetforge.org)
m (Beuc-inria moved page 2 days Hackers/users meeting in Paris, 2010-02-03 and 04 to Meetings/2010)
Latest revision as of 15:51, 24 March 2014
You may have heard about the Coclico project, which is an initiative aiming at collaboration and convergence between several forge engines, most notably FusionForge, Codendi and Novaforge. That project was started last October, and it holds regular meetings with its members. The next meeting is scheduled for the 2nd of February in Paris, and we thought we could host an open meeting on the 3rd for non-Coclico members, a bit like the forge meeting we had last year (which is when FusionForge was officially born), but with an emphasis on what Coclico did so far. Since most of the FusionForge hackers are in Western Europe, and several are in Paris (especially if we add those who go to Paris for the Coclico meeting), we thought it would also be a good opportunity to gather for a technical and social meeting.
It seems the Coclico open session didn't generate much interest this time (not in time for the meeting anyway), so it was proposed to hijack the room for this FusionForge meeting. Several topics are good candidates for discussion (and possibly implementation) during the meeting, see agenda below. The social aspect should not be neglected either, and informal discussions are expected too. These are in no way specific to FusionForge, and in fact we think it would be great if hackers/users of other forges were present, because we could benefit a great deal from their experience and plans. But whether or not we find ourselves amongst FusionForge people only, these topics would be good to discuss and possibly write some code for, and hopefully we can all go home with a clearer picture of where our efforts should focus in the near future.
The initial date was set to the 3rd of February, but since we'll have a visitor from Korea it makes sense to extend the meeting, so it will take place on the 3rd and 4th of February, 2010.
We'd therefore like to invite interested people to mark these two days on their agendas. The meeting will take place in the France Télécom R&D offices at 38 rue du général Leclerc, in Issy-les-Moulineaux  (near Paris, within reach of the tube directions). If you're interested, please get in touch with us (#FusionForge on the FreeNode IRC network, or the fusionforge-general mailing-list), so we can have a rough estimate of how many people to expect. In particular, please read the thread starting at  and register on the Doodle survey . We'll try to finish the general agenda on the 3rd since that was the only day initially planned and not everyone will be able to stay for another day, so the 4th can be more focused on particulars.
- Configuration system: prototype, next steps
- Database maintenance (including for plugins), schema harmonisation, cleanup, evolution
- Packaging and installation procedures: what needs to be done to keep the three ways of installation (manual, *.deb, *.rpm) in sync with as little work as possible?
- Permissions system: clarification of what happens currently, ideas for evolution, Mailman test case (Christian)
- Plugins and interaction with external software: do we lack stuff that would make this easier?
- Roadmap, long-term plans, and so on;
- SSO and related topics (SimpleSamlPHP use maybe);
- REST API for trackers (OSLC-CM standard support);
- Interoperability, collaboration and convergence (aka “taking code and ideas from other forges”)
- Target platform
- Governance issues?
- nFORGE presentation and discussion
- indexing, search and semantic web/linked-data description of hosted projects and artifacts
(Contents initially pasted from Lolando's blog at , but evolved since)